Saturday 5 June 2010

Reply on anonymity

I got a reply from my MP regarding anonymity of rape trial defendants.

[trigger warning]

Removing the usual header and footer:

As you are already aware, I have signed EDM105 which was tabled by Fiona Mactaggart. I agree that the Government's proposal will send a message to juries and rape victims that the victim is not to be believed and I fear that this could inhibit the effective prosecution of serial rapists. In my mind, this proposal should be withdrawn as it does not appear to have been put forward on the basis of any strong evidence or research.

I can reassure you that I will certainly vote against any legislation that includes this proposal and along with Harriet Harman I will be pressuring the Government whenever possible to scrap these plans.